[AZ-Observing] Re: Anderson Mesa webcams

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:17:53 -0700 (MST)

>>  On average, how often does the Flagstaff area experience
>>  sights of the aurora?

     In my 35 years here, it's a few times per solar cycle,
usually within a couple of years of solar max.  Not readily
predictable, though one can pay attention to the various solar
activity pages, such as:

http://www.spacew.com/www/aurora.php

...where the top-most map and the bottom-most map are the most relevant.
It's been my experience that (in re the bottom map) the "power output"
has to be pushing 200GW for aurorae to be visible here.  The
green spot in middle of the map (today) will be relatively large
and glowing bright red on such occasions.

\Brian