[AZ-Observing] An Old Brandon Eyepiece

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 09:51:09 -0800

About 20 years ago I bought a used Brandon 32mm 1.25 eyepiece from a
retiree in Sun City. It was sad because he had to sell his things to get
the money for health care for him and his wife. Over the years it has
gradually deteriorated. I think the cement cementing two elements is
breaking apart. Although there are much better eyepieces out now, for
posterity it would be nice to be able to repair this one and to be able
to use it. Can this be done? I imagine it would involve soaking it is
some kind of solvent and re-cementing the elements. I am assuming there
are two elements because otherwise I cannot account for the appearance
of the lens.
Stan