[AZ-Observing] Amazing book bargain

  • From: L Knauth <Knauth@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 21:30:31 -0700

I just picked up a copy of "Cosmos-A Field Guide" in the Bargain Book section
at Borders Books in the Mesa Superstition Mall for $20.  This is a 14" x 17"
large format splashy book like many before, but it is of amazing quality and
interest.  The stars are commonly pinpoints rather than blobs and nearly all
the images are of better quality than I have seen printed before. Extraordinary
quality, really. The 5-frames showing growth of the Monoceros light echo are
worth the price alone.  So is the high resolution image of Io in front of
Jupiter.  So is...ah well, you get the point. There is also tons of useful
information.

I quit buying splashy astro image books long ago because I thought the images
looked better on my computer screen.  This book is better, IMHO.  No, I have no
financial or other interest in the book or in Borders. It's just that the
Arizona Monsoon is a-cummin'in soon and this will be the best we can do for a
while.

There were about 7 copies left there. I don't know if it is at other
Borders,and I don't see it on their web site.  It is shown at Amazon for about
twice the price, but it has a different cover. The jacket price on mine is UK
50 pounds.  I don't know if the Amazon version is the same printing or as good.

Just a heads-up.

Paul Knauth