[AZ-Observing] Amateur Astronomers / Amateur Radio Operators

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 21:21:13 -0700

To All,

Since being granted my amateur radio license and getting on the air, I have
noticed that a significant number of amateur radio operators (Hams) are also
Amateur Astronomers (or vice versa). I have identified half a dozen just in
SAC. With that in mind I'd like to see if I can compile a list of all the
amateur "astrohams" along with some common 2 meter repeater networks for use
in keeping in touch, communicating information, etc. It could be useful at
events like the Grand Canyon Star Party, travel to other events or even
keeping touch and checking conditions between two distant locations where
groups may be gathered.  Some of these networks are wide spread as was
demonstrated the other day when Andrew Goodwin and I were talking to each
other here in town and with another Astroham walking outside his house in
San Diego!

If you have interest in being part of and getting a listing of the other
"Astrohams" across the state, please send me an email (off line) with your
name , call sign and any local or linked repeaters in your area that you
commonly use.  I will then compile a list to be distributed to those who
have expressed an interest.

Thank you,

Jimmy Ray
KZ7QCW