[AZ-Observing] Re: AllAZ sun

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:05:59 +0000

Looks like you could be right, Jeff.  We checked out the Sun today and saw
pretty much nothin' happening in white light.  There are a couple possibly
promising areas on the farside, as seen in the SOHO MDI "image" on
spaceweather.com that could develop.  Hydrogen Alpha is definitely the
wavelength to use for the next week or so.  Big Bear Solar Observatory's
H-alpha shows some nice filaments and a few active regions, with one just
going over the limb, and calcium K shows somw detail as well.  Any of these
regions could turn into sunspots, but you just never know.  Keep watching as
the Sun quiets down.

&gt;From: Jeffmight@xxxxxxx
&gt;Reply-To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
&gt;To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
&gt;Subject: [AZ-Observing] AllAZ sun
&gt;Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 12:39:35 EDT
&gt;
&gt;Checking out spaceweather.com it seems the sun will be basically blank
for
&gt;the All Arizona Star Party. The neutral density filters will reveal a
beautiful
&gt;blank circle, unmarred by pesky sunspots. Hydrogen alpha filters may
have
&gt;better luck though. Looking at the SOHO site reveals interesting flares
and
&gt;prominences. I plan to bring both my filters there anyway. Jeff Vandecar
&gt;
&gt;--
&gt;See message header for info on list archives or unsubscribing, and
please
&gt;send personal replies to the author, not the list.
&gt;