[AZ-Observing] Re: All Arizona Star Party

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <polakis@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Reply-To:az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 19:17:00 -0400

Russ and others:

The Arizona City site is overall darker than Vekol, but not as good as
Sentinel.  I am guessing that air distance from the center of Phoenix to
AZ City is about 70 miles, whereas it is about 50 for Vekol.

Perhaps you were at the former Arizona City site four years ago.  Now we
set up on private property with the full support of the rancher who owns
it.  It is quite a drive south of the previous site, and the sky is
notably better as a result.

Is there an on-line map providing directions to the site available for
those who might not know where it is?  Even written directions would be a
step in the right direction.  Anybody?

Finally, I would say with seriousness that at this time it doesn't seem
like a brilliant idea to set up cannon-like objects at the edge of a
bombing range (Sentinel).  Seems like you'd be setting yourself up for a
well-lit interrogation.

Tom