[AZ-Observing] AZ Science Center Planetarium

  • From: Wayne Westlake <24launch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, sac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:54:40 -0700

Forgive me if this has already made it around the list serve and then back
again, and again, and again, but my wife & I just became members of the AZ
Science Center because of the interesting list of Astronomy-related shows &
events they're planning to have each month throughout the year.
I had not experienced the former planetarium, but I must say I was
incredibly impressed with the new planetarium.  We just watched the "Arizona
Skies" show which was more of an interactive question & answer and history
(the excellent presenter was an archeo-astronomer) presentation than the
typical monotonous laser pointer circle show I've sat through in the past.
And part of the show was showing off the new planetarium technology which
felt more like an IMAX show on a curved dome than your typical "thousand
points of light" projected star show.

For those of you who haven't seen it and live in the metro-Phoenix area I
highly suggest you give it a chance.  Also have a look at their upcoming
shows and special presentations.  April 3rd is a special presentation by
Peter Smith, PI from the recent Phoenix Lander mission on The Search For
Life.

Clear Skies,

Wayne Westlake