[AZ-Observing] Re: AZ Rep Light Pollution Front Page

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Skylook123@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 16:45:32 -0400

Wow.  Marker and I worked with Megan on her story back during GCSP in
June.  Megan sat in the front row of the theater for Marker's Starry Starry
Nights Over The Grand Canyon, and in my brief time with Megan she asked  very
pointed, adeptly formed questions.

Dr. Alan Delman from Tumacacori was the guide for the night tour  mentioned
in the article; he or I did many of the three nightly  tours.  The amazing
thing is that he was  recovering from a pretty traumatic replacement of a
previous hip replacement event that shattered his femur only four months
before;  he was quite a trooper to do those tours.

The article said a majority of the volunteers are from Tucson, but that is
incorrect.  Tucson provides about 25%; about 65% are from Phoenix, Kingman,
 Sedona, Flagstaff, and Prescott, and points in between.  The other 10%
usually show up from Nevada, California, Texas, and Florida.

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star  Party
gcsp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/7/2014 12:15:11 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
telescoper@xxxxxxx writes:

You'e  welcome, I still haven't gotten over the shock of seeing all this on
the  front page of the paper. Very validating and about time this had  some
recognition.
Jack Jones
SAC

http://www.azcentral.com/longform/news/local/arizona/2014/09/07/arizona-dark-skies-disappearing/15158485/