[AZ-Observing] AASP

  • From: "Frank Kraljic" <FJKraljic@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:19:43 -0700

Although Saturday night apparently bombed (I left AASP early that evening),
Friday night--at least for those of us on the north side of the
field--salvaged what appeared to be a grim night of high clouds.

Seeing remained consistently decent into the early morning hours allowing
magnifications in excess of 3-400x through the 10-inch, and sucker holes
kept our group of five (Kerry Weatherford, Mike Mello, Mike Spooner, Gordon
and myself) working most of the night seeking low surface brightness
planetaries and 12th+ magnitude galaxies before becoming obscured.  This was
a fun observing challenge without the use of a GO-TO or digital setting
circles.  Still no comparison to a clear night, but an exciting consolation
for a star party that could have been perceived as a lost cause.

Transparency improved in the SE after midnight opening Orion, Gemini and
Taurus for observing.  Mike Spooner and I--the only two of our group
awake--were treated by pleasing high powered views of the trapezium in M42,
the Eskimo, NGC 2371/72 and a couple small IC planetaries.

-FRANK