[AZ-Observing] Re: A terrific night at Messier Marathon site

  • From: Chris Schur <comets133@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:27:27 -0700 (PDT)

Great report Steve!  We got in a decent night up here in Payson.  The seeing
was tons better than the night before with all the awful wind.  Got in images
of three gorgeous open clusters - the big three in Auriga, M36,37,38.  Stunning
objects visually.
Clear Skies,

Chris

Schur's Web Portal: http://www.schursastrophotography.com

--- On Tue, 3/29/11, stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] A terrific night at Messier Marathon site
To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 2:17 PM

Howdy all;

I am at the Messier Marathon site and I had a great night of observing
last night.  The wind died completely by twilight and as it got darker all
the clouds went away also.  The zodiacal light was bright and tall,
reaching across the Milky Way to the Beehive cluster in Cancer.  It formed
the "big X in the sky" to quote Dawn Schur.

Once it was good a dark there was detail in the Milky Way, a mottling that
was seen until the glow of the Milky Way got close to the horizon.
Mercury was easy and in the TV 102 showed a crescent phase that was easy
with the 14mm UWA eyepiece.  Everywhere I looked there were lots of very
faint stars in places where I rarely see them.

I shot some images with the 200mm lens and then observered some old
friends.  Obviously, the Orion Nebula...and it was excellent.  The
Trapezium showed 6 members with the 4.7mm eyepiece and in the 22mm
Panoptic the outer faint nebulosity was easy to see along with the dark
"Fish Mouth" feature.

All the open clusters I observed were excellent.  M 35, 37, 48 and NGC
1528 all showed many faint members and several members with color, usually
yellow.

I also spent half an hour or so just viewing the sky with my eyes.  It has
always been fun studying the dark night sky on an excellent night that I
rated 8 out of 10 for transparency.

Hope to see lots of you here for the weekend;
Steve Coe