[AZ-Observing] Re: A smile and a frown....

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 23:42:57 -0700

Howdy all;

I, too, am happy to see Pierre's name in print and particularly concerning
one of his favorite subjects, thin crescent moons.  I have notes in my files
from a several nights at Buckeye and Sentinel when myself, Pierre, Tom, AJ,
Rick Rotrammel and others viewed and took photos of beautiful thin crescent
Moons hanging over the sunset.

I have never had a sighting that was near the record, but I have several
that are less than 18 hours and wow, is that a skinny Moon.  I usually find
it first in binoculars and then point the scope at it.  Actually, I find the
binocular view most beautiful.  But, you do only get a very short period of
time to look, remember, it is very close to the horizon and setting fast!

So, give it a try and see Pierre's "Cheshire cat" grinning in the twilight
glow;
Steve Coe

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org