[AZ-Observing] Re: A smile and a frown....

  • From: Herve Dole <hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:07:23 -0700

 >I figure that many folks will be using the transit of Venus as a good
 >excuse for a European vacation.

Especially in this season (around June 8th), where the weather
is usually the best (for tourism, not necessarly for astronomy),
and airline tickets are not yet at the peak (the peak prices usually
start after the 2nd half of June).

I'll be close to Paris, at the Paris South Orsay University
( http://www.u-psud.fr ), and we'll have many scopes set-up for
the event.

If you come to France, I guess one of the best spot might be
the Paris Observatory (building of the late 1600's)
http://www.obspm.fr just close to the "quartier latin". Arts,
history, good food, and (day-time) astronomy, sounds like a good
vacation plan !

A list of sites in Europe participating to the event will likely
be available trough the ESO:
http://www.eso.org/outreach/eduoff/edu-prog/vt-2004/

Herve

  Dr Hervé Dole             | Research Associate - Astrophysics
  Steward Observatory rm268 | Cosmological IR Surveys w/ SIRTF MIPS
  University of Arizona     | Phone: 520 626 2958 Fax: 520 621 9555
  933 N Cherry Avenue       | hdole@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Tucson, AZ, 85721, USA    | http://lully.as.arizona.edu/~hdole
  Dr Hervé Dole                     | Maître de Conférences
  Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale | Astrophysique Galaxies SIRTF
  bat 121, Université Paris Sud     | Phone: 33 1 TBD
  F-91405 Orsay Cedex, France       | Fax: 33 1 6985 8675
     http://www.ias.u-psud.fr       | Herve.Dole@xxxxxxxxxxxxx