[AZ-Observing] Re: A sad fact

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:09:23 -0700

JD,

I agree that Light pollution is probably the culprit. They seem to be
focusing on the younger demographic, particularly teens. Well if mom or dad
isn't willing to drive 100 miles to the antennas, they're going to get
discouraged fast trying to find the stuff autostar is telling them they can
see from their backyard in Phoenix.

Speaking of the Demographic, I do wonder about their focus. I've been active
in astronomy for 17 years now and the demographic I've seen has always been
older, not younger. When I first joined SAC back in 1996 I was 36 years old
and one of the youngest members of the club.

As you said, an interesting article, but dubious speculation of fact.

Oh and my backyard Wx Station showed .01 inches of rain this afternoon.

Rick