[AZ-Observing] Re: A question and a request

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 04:31:54 -0700

Hi,
I agree with Paul Lind.

I was disappointed that a "leper colony" list for astrophotographers was
created.
Why single out astrophotography?

I can see the potential for other "leper colonies" to be created to
segregate
things further so people with only very special limited interests would not
be bothered by messages they deem irrelevant:

    AZAstroWeatherReportFromObservingSite1,
    AZAstroWeatherReportFromObservingSite2,

    AZAstroEquipmentForSale

    AZAstroDescriptionOfVisuallyObservedObjects

    AZAstroHazardousRoadConditionsToObservingSite1,
    AZAstroHazardousRoadConditionsToObservingSite1,

    AZAstroAnnouncementsOfWhereImGoingThisWeekend

    AZAstroInterestingAstronomicalArticles

    AZAstroMonsoonDiscussion

    AZAstroGrandCanyonStarPartyDiscussion

    AZAstroMeteorShowerVideos
    AZAstroMeteorShowerVisualReports

Probably hundreds more.

Then we could each subscribe to the list that serves ONLY our
narrow interest.  Carried to its logical extreme there would
be only one person signed up for each list.  That person would
then have the apparently ideal list where he posts stuff to himself
and nobody else is bothered with irrelevant postings.

Myself, I like receiving the widest possible information (related
to astronomy of course.)  I often learn something interesting from
the postings.

I don't know if the most recent Email readers make you read every
message.  If so I can see why that would be a problem.  I am still
using Netscape 7.2 and it gives me all the filtering options I need.
I can easily ignore messages that I am not interested in and mark
them as "read".

I also keep EVERY message I have EVER sent and received.
That often comes in handy.  I have everything back to 1998...
With modern storage facilities this has not been a problem.

Anyway, I like all you guys and I would prefer the free-flow
of information.  I think we all have lots to learn from each other.

Thanks,

Howard