[AZ-Observing] Re: A question and a request

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DBogan3220@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 05:52:53 -0400 (EDT)

OK tell me what is the difference between using a DSC and using charts.
Your supposed to use only memory to find each target. Oh this person cheated
but  he used Charts, this person cheated used a goto. This person cheated
using  a DSC made motor noises for effect. ;-) Last your supposed to use Morse
Code to  check each object off. This is my $.02 cents worth.

Dwight

In a message dated 7/20/2014 5:14:29 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
beevo1@xxxxxxx writes:
Some of  this is starting to sound like the Morse-Code vs no Morse-Code in
the ham  radio circles.  ROFLMAO

I was chastised for the use of a DSC a  long time ago, I asked the guy who
was giving me a hard time about it  "which would you rather do look FOR
something or look AT something"   He left me alone.  For the record I can
see
both sides of the fence  from here.....

If an observing list award requires that you manually  find the object then
it is pretty clear, using a DSC, GoTo etc can be  construed as cheating.  If
I won the award and others were "cheating"  to gain the same, then I would
likely call BS as well.

On the image  posting deal, it was not the posting of the images so much,
but
as was  mentioned the flood of atta boy posts that followed.  I think
changing  the reply default is a good idea.  There were some flurries of
one
image after another posts by the same individual(s) in rapid succession
over
the years that got a bit tiring, but that too has fallen by the  wayside.
Having done little imaging that I would care to post publically I  do
understand the thrill of having a good image or series thereof to  post.

My $.02 can I have some change  please....

Beevo

From:  stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: SMTP  <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AZ-Observing] A question and a  request
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 15:55:00 -0700

Howdy  all;

I have two things to say and I promise I am not trying to start  any
problems, so let's be nice.

One, wasn't "az-astroimaging"  started as a place to put images so that
observers and imagers could keep  their two activities separate?  I have
seen
some folks putting their  images in both locations and I thought that is not
the idea.

Two, I  would like to request that we stop using the term "cheating" when
something  is being done that others view as an "incorrect" method of
operation.   People say someone is cheating if they are using electronic
finding aids,  if they are star hopping.  Someone here referred to cheating
because  they used an imaging service to gather data remotely.
Let's resist  the temptation to call people cheaters because they are
viewing
or imaging  the sky in a method other than yours.

Clear skies;
Steve  Coe
send personal replies to the author, not the  list.