[AZ-Observing] Re: A question and a request

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:35:26 -0700

A couple of comments if I can.
I "think" the idea behind AZ-astroimaging was started (by someone ??) in
response to all the comment about image posting, as your suggest.
But there was no "requirement" for anyone to "switch".... at least that I am
aware of.
I fact, I think it was Tom Polakis was made a post asking that images
return....

Which leads to what the "problem" really is/was. It was NOT the posting of
links to the images.
But rather, it was the flood of "that sure is a pretty picture"....  posts that
followed.
EVAC went through this discussion a couple of years ago (broaden out the
subject to "any post replies....") and we came up with a solution that seems to
work.
When to do a "reply" on EVACONLINE, the reply does NOT go to the general
population. Instead, it is directed to the original poster only.
So much for the "flood of replies".

Now, the user always has the option to change the address for the reply, and
post to "the forum" if they wish. But it is a conscious decision to do so.
When there are posting to AZ-Observing that I want to reply to (pictures)... I
"usually" send the reply directly to the original poster.
Saying that, I did a response today, thinking I had made that correction, and
inadvertently sent it to the list.  Sorry about that. I shall try harder to
remember.

Anyway, my point is, that the users can control the "volume" of emails, by not
doing open posting, but rather direct replies, especially for imaging comments.
But they have to remember to do it !!

From my perspective (and only my personal opinion).... I wish we still have the
postings on AZ-Observing.
Who owns Az-Observing ???  They should be the ones setting the "rules".......

Just my 2 cents (and as the guy on Cloudy Nights says....  "and worth every
penny").

David M. Douglass
dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (secondary)
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (main)