[AZ-Observing] A mystery 'flare' in Cygnus

  • From: "Doug Snyder" <starhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "amastro" <amastro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:29:01 -0700

Hi,

While outdoors doing  Milky Way naked eye observing under very clear
southern AZ skies, I observed the following mystery 'flare' in Cygnus at
about 2150 MST 6-21-09 (0450 UT on Monday 6-22-09).  The object brightened
to about mag. -3 for about 8 to 10 seconds, then faded beyond naked eye
visibility.  I estimated it's azimuth at about 70 degrees and its altitude
at about 30 degrees, maybe a little less.  That would place it in the region
of where the star 'eta Cygni' is.  I referenced the Iridium Flare section of
the heavens-above site for current and previous 48 hour flares, but nothing
corresponded to my sighting, so I am wondering if anyone else on the list
observed it or maybe was imaging that area of the sky around that time. I
did not see it repeat.

Thanks & Clear Skies,
Doug Snyder
Palominas, AZ