[AZ-Observing] Re: A lovely night for photometry (NOT)

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:23:09 -0700

Hello Stan,

I have been watching Mars the last few nights. Features can be easily
seen with the 12" LX200 with a 26 mm eyepiece, It helps to use a
filter to cut the glare. Even Moon filter helps.

I tried some imaging with the DSI Pro. I had to reduce the exposure
all the way down to 2 mS. At that point some of the surface features
came through. I could not see any polar cap, however. Mars is close
to the zenith around midnight.

Tonight is for photometry so no imaging. It is hard to do all this in
one evening. I am still trying to get the bugs worked out of using
the SSP-4 for J &  H band infrared photometry too, but tonight it's
strictly UBV PEP.

Jeff

--
Jeff Hopkins