[AZ-Observing] A last view of Columbia

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:23:24 -0700

Hello all;

I didn't even think about the Shuttle re-entry, I had gotten up to photograph
Venus and Mars in Scorpius.  We had a group of 10 folks and scopes at Sentinel
and I set the alarm after a fun night of observing a wide variety of objects in
a wide variety of telescopes.

I have viewed a Shuttle re-entry across Arizona several times in the past and
this one appeared no different.  It moved quickly from northwest to southwest
and in about a minute it was lost in some clouds over Phoenix.  I have always
thought of it appearing like the star Sirius moving across the sky and leaving
a slight trail.  I didn't have the camera ready because the twilight was so
bright I didn't think it would come out on the photo.

So, the Columbia disappeared into some clouds and I disappeared into my tent.
I had no idea that as I was dropping off to sleep from a full night of viewing
the stars the crew of Columbia were taking on the mantle of the deepest sleep
of all.  May their passing be remembered with honor for as long as humanity
looks at the stars and sends brave men and women into the sky.

Steve Coe

stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx
Author:  Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist
Saguaro Astronomy Club web site: