[AZ-Observing] Re: A further tidbit on big scopes used with eyepieces

  • From: Gene A Lucas <geneluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 21:23:35 -0700

I just was watching an old "Flash Gordon" thriller on videotape
(starring Buster Crabbe)...
The first episode opens with shots of two astronomers (one was
"Professor Gordon", Buck's father) viewing a "wild planet on a collision
course with the Earth"... using an eyepiece at the back-end, Cassegrain
focus of the Mt. Wilson 60 inch!  This included a brief shot of the 60
inch in its dome...
The scene with the two astronomers appears to have been actually filmed
with the 60 inch in the dome...
Gene
(17250)