[AZ-Observing] Re: A full day of Astronomical Fun

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 1:07:39 -0400

---- stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Rick, I am at the Oregon Star Party and was also doing Ophiuchus objects
> last night with the 6 inch refractor.  We can compare notes sometime.
>
> The weather has been very good, the site provides a 6/10 rating for
> transparency, about like Cherry Road, and I am having a grand time.

Steve,

Wow, 6/10 at the Oregon Star Party site?  Is smoke from a forest fire in the
Cascades blowing into the Ochocos?  That has been the problem occasionally in
years past, but when the smoke is not present, the site is quite a bit superior
to anywhere we routinely observe in Arizona, including Five Mile Meadow.

There's no giant city centrally located in the state, so I bet an SQM would
register in the 21.5 to 22.0 range.  I bet Chuck Dethloff has been measuring
the sky brightness each night.  Since the terrain to the west is not dusty, the
suspended particulates during the clear months is less of a problem in central
Oregon than in Arizona.

Have you had a chance to rate the seeing?  The thing that makes the OSP site
better than TSP and many of our Arizona sites is that they found a clearing
that is above the surroundings, and free of cool air drainage.  I might not
have enough nights of data, but I was impressed with the periods of prolonged,
good seeing at OSP.

The only thing that makes the OSP less of a destination for Arizonans is
latitude.  it sure is nice to see the Stinger of Scorpius high above the
horizon here in Arizona.

Tom