[AZ-Observing] Re: A Mystery... Can you help me solve it ??

  • From: Brian Skiff <bas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 14:51:02 -0700

On Thu, 2015-02-19 at 14:10 -0700, Victor Herrero wrote:
> In two pairs, the waviness matches exactly, they look like tracks made by
> drifting star pairs see :
> http://herrero-victor.blogspot.com/2015/02/david-m-douglass-observations-probable.html
>
> Victor :)

     Good catch on Victor's part.  This certainly
looks like the flotilla of geostationary sats
that one can see in wide-field shots.  So the idea
is that these were hardly moving themselves,
but your doing the sidereal tracking made them
streak across the images, and any larger irregularities
or jumps in the tracking made them jiggle, and the
really small-scale jitter is from seeing.
     When we ran the LONEOS Schmidt hunting for NEOs,
we'd often see groups of four to six of the
geostationary objects (mostly non-functional junk
presumably) go through the fields in parallel arrays
maybe 15' across.  They would not necessarily be at
the magic -5.5 deg Dec, but near, and also not
drifting E-W, but instead at some angle as a result
of their no longer being controlled on-station,
but floating free.

\Brian