[AZ-Observing] A Few More Wide-Angle Comet Images

  • From: "Tom Polakis" <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: evac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 08:42:33 -0600

We rose early, and made a trip out to the old Florence Junction site by
the tracks, one mile south of the junction.  This site had the advantage
of a low and pretty dark eastern horizon.

The images are at:

http://www.pbase.com/polakis/comets0404b

Comet LINEAR has faded, but the tail length is still very impressive in
both 10x30mm binoculars and the 70mm refractor.  Comet LINEAR requires
more aperture rather than a wide field of view.  It is going to be
plummeting back toward the sun very soon before emerging next month in the
evening sky.

The saguaro cactus in the first frame is one of the most impressive I have
seen.  In the other images from the same general area, my brilliant
photographic composition managed to block the comet out completely by the
huge saguaro.

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned to this list that I made a 'mouseover'
version of last Saturday's image at:

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/comets/comets0404.html

Tom