[AZ-Observing] Re: A Bear Hunt

  • From: "Jones, Jack (AZ75)" <jack.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:45:55 -0700

Glad to hear from a real galaxy cluster fan! Good report, you'll be in the
magazines as a regular soon with that style of writing. One question, on NGC
2768, what do you mean 'the galaxy is centered'?

Jack

> The last few nights have been clear and crisp in northern
> Arizona. Tuesday
> night, I made the 15-mile drive to Anderson Mesa, Lowell
> Observatory's dark sky
> site southeast of Flagstaff, for a short observing session.
> Two hours later,
> I'd made observations and sketches of NGC 2742, NGC 2768, NGC
> 2841 (all three
> are Herschel 400 objects), and the galaxy cluster involving
> NGC 2767, NGC 2769
> and NGC 2771. All can be found in Ursa Major, the great bear,

NGC 2768 (http://members.aol.com/billferris/n2768.html )
I observed this 9.8 magnitude elliptical galaxy in my 10-inch Newtonian at
129X. The galaxy is centered and covers an area of 2'.5x2'. The faint outer
region is lost against the night sky. NGC 2768 features a bright stellaring
at the
core and is elongated along an east-west line. A 10th magnitude star shines
about 5' due north. A star of similar brightness is seen 4' to the
northwest.