[AZ-Observing] Re: 59 Ser, a Green star??

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:00:13 -0400

Steve Coe wrote:
> OK, I know that green stars are supposed to be impossible using just the
> temperature charts and other stellar physics.
>

> However, I am out in my backyard tonight doing multiple stars in Serpens and
> number 59 on the Flamsteed list is pretty obviously green to my eye...

Steve,

Are you sure it's not a color contrast effect with the primary star of the
pair?  You never hear about reports of a single green star that is not a part
of a double star system.  That "green" companion of Antares is a strong
illusion.  When I saw the companion emerge from occultation before the primary
star, it was obviously nothin' but white.

Tom