[AZ-Observing] Re: 5 mile meadow, things to know

  • From: AJ Crayon <acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:25:19 -0700

Stan, unfortunately we are all subject to the impact from population growth.
Back around the time you are discussing (1981) the SAC site, just off of
I-17, was south of what is now call Anthem.  We have moved the site a number
of times looking for decent skies and as it turns out, they are farther and
farther away from population centers.

Unfortunately, when you start getting away from one population center,
another creeps up on you.  We are still lucky here in AZ because the overall
population density is very low as compared to places east of the big ditch
(read the Mississippi Riva as it is prononced where I come from).

Having been to Blue Hills Observatory a few months ago, I can see how the
light pollution from housing construction has impacted your site and I only
hope it tapers off at the speed of light.

Finally, I'll be happy to take more than my share of the blame:o))

Clear skies,
aj