[AZ-Observing] Re: 5 Mile Meadow----special permit possibly needed....

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 07:48:33 -0700

Ok everyone, here's the skinny on 5 Mile Meadow.

Just talked to a Mr. Henry Brill, and while he was obviously concerned,
he was very generous
about our needs.  Much like Steve has said, he definately wants us as
close to the tree line as possible.
If you want a view of the Northern sky, he would prefer that you lug
your gear further out, and keep your
vehicle into the tree line near your campsite.  He absolutely does not
want us parked any
further into the meadow than totally necessary.  He also wants us to
avoid using the same tire tracks
for the whole group, in other words, disperse the tracks to minimize the
effect of our
being there.

I also promised I'd post these basic rules....

NO open flames.  Smoking in vehicles only.
NO going to the middle of the meadow.
Whenever you park, make sure that you are not parked on vegatation high
enough to contact your catalytic converter/muffler.
Gas grills OK, but raking area of dried vegatation is HIGHLY recommended.

He also suggested getting a Porta-Potty if it was a group of more than
20 people.
I'll bring this up to the SAC Board.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I really do feel that the FS is
doing us a huge
favor.  Let's let them know we appreciate it by adhering to their rules.

Thad