[AZ-Observing] 486 & 488

  • From: "Stanley A. Gorodenski" <stan_gorodenski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:53:04 -0800

Yesterday I saw what I believe is 486 (the last periods designation)
just making its appearance around the limb. Today more of the group is
visible and it does not appear overly large to me. I did not observe it
when it first appeared and so I have no idea if it has reduced in size.
I also see a lot of faculae around it that I do not recall seeing around
488 when I observed 488 yesterday. Yesterday 488 was at about the same
location relative to the limb of the sun that 486 is today.

On a related issue, during the last partial solar eclipse we had in
Arizona I was observing it through my telescope to see the silhouette of
the lunar mountains against the sun. I am using a Thousand Oaks filter
in their aluminum ring. I have a full aperture filter rather than one
that is off to one side. One thing that I noticed was that I started
getting thermals from, I think, the aluminum ring that was affecting the
image the longer I observed the sun. Has anyone experienced this? If so,
what do you use to prevent it, white titanium dioxide paint over the
aluminum ring?

Stan