[AZ-Observing] 35mm Astrophotography Mount

  • From: "Jim Waters" <jwaters125@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:44:42 -0700

I want to get back into taking 35mm astrophotography and I looking for a low
cost equatorial head or high quality barn-door type tracker.  I will be using a
Cannon SLR with up to a 300mm lens and a heavy Bogen tripod.  What are my
options?  Are there any good but low cost equatorial heads?  I have looked into
the CG5 head but wasn't impressed with the quality and the CG8 is too
expensive.  My requirements are as follows:

-         Ability to align the equatorial head.

-         Ability to carry the weight of the 35mm camera plus 300mm telephoto
lens.

-         Ability to RA track up to 45 minutes.

-         Ability to mount to a tripod.

Thanks;

Jim Waters

EVAC