[AZ-Observing] Re: 3,000 images combine for Milky Way portrait - Space.com- msnbc.com

  • From: "Dan Heim" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:07:38 -0700

One should be able to see the entire Milky Way from any point between the
Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, minus a few degrees to allow for the MW's
visible width.  Unless I've got my geometry wrong, I think that would work.

Consider that, on a spacewalk enroute to the Moon, one might be able to
rotate 360 and take it all in on the same night.  I wonder if there were any
spacewalks during the lunar Apollo missions.  Ant space historians care to
comment?

Dan Heim