[AZ-Observing] 3 clubs observing Saturday at "Two Trees" site south of Sedona.

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:23:18 -0700

Folks from three different clubs are planning a joint observing session on
Saturday night, at the "Two Trees" site just south of Sedona.  The clubs
include the Sedona Sirius Lookers, the Astronomers of the Verde Valley,
and the Coconino Astronomical Society.  The Two Trees site is about 5
miles south of Sedona, with directions and maps on the site available from
the Sirius Lookers web site, at
http://www.users.qwest.net/~emwalczak/HomePageFrame1Events.htm .  Their
directions are:
"Two Trees Area is between Sedona and Cottonwood, 89A from Sedona to FR 525.
FR 525
about 1/3 mile to the Y. Left at the Y to the RC Aircraft field. We set up
in the field on the left before the RC field. If you are planning on camping at
Two Trees be sure to buy a Red Rocks
Pass. I just found out that we are a mile inside the pass area. Buy the
annual pass for $20 in case you plan on using the site more often."

In addition, coming from the north, it's useful to know the turn-off from
US89A south to FR 525 is about 8 miles south of the 89A and 179 "Y" in
Sedona, and about 1 mile past where the speed limit increases to 65 MPH.
Turn right onto FR 525 and follow directions above.

Coming from the south (e.g. the valley or Prescott area), one should
proceed to US89A in Cottonwood.  Then head towards Sedona on 89A north.
About a mile past the Page Springs turn-off there will be a "scenic
overlook" pulloff on the right.  Just past this is Road 525 to the left.
Then follow directions above.

For those of you who haven't been there, this is a pretty good wide open
site, surrounded by low hills that provide a good horizon - blocking out
all direct lights except from Jerome several miles away up on the side of
Mingus Mountain.  There is some glow to the south from Cottonwood and
Phoenix beyond, but the horizon is very good in other directions and it's
quite dark over much of the sky.  The site is beside an area the local RC
aircraft club has developed (with National Forest permission), including a
"porta-john", but their area is of course never used at night.

Weather permitting - current forecast is for partly cloudy - I hope to see
some of you there, particularly those from northern Arizona.

- Brent Archinal