[AZ-Observing] Re: 2003 Flagstaff nighttime cloudiness

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 13:19:00 -0700

At 12:13 -0700 01/01/2004, Brian Skiff wrote in part:
>The table below shows the Flagstaff nighttime cloudiness summary for 2003.
>Definitions:
>Photometric  -  cloudfree dusk-to-dawn.
>Partial  -  at least 3 consecutive cloudfree hours during the night.
>Spectroscopic  -  less than about 1 mag. extinction throughout the night.
>Cloudy  -  cloudy.

Thanks Brian!

Some questions. Why is a photometric night cloudless? Some of the
best nights I've seen for photometry there were large cumulus clouds.
Photometry between those clouds was exceptional. The thin clouds are
the killers however.

Clouded mights do not necessarily mean poor observing. From the
QCUIAG list just moments ago, Paul Maxon in Surprise AZ took some
exceptional shots of the moon (I don't know how as I only saw the
moon through thick clouds, but he evidently found some holes.)
http://glory.gc.maricopa.edu/~pmaxson/Moon/Moon1231Hadley25x.jpg
http://glory.gc.maricopa.edu/~pmaxson/Moon/Moon1231Alpine25x.jpg

Also, what do you mean by 1 magnitude extinction all night. Was this
measured at the zenith?

Jeff
http://www.hposoft.com/Astro/astro.html
--