[AVAPL Members] Re: (no subject)

  • From: "Cornell, Marlene M." <Marlene.Cornell@xxxxxx>
  • To: <members1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:01:45 -0800

Jeff,

Great inspirational Anais Nin quote!

From: avaplmembers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:avaplmembers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Burk, Jeffrey P.
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 10:23 AM
To: members1@xxxxxxxxx; VHA National Psychology Chiefs
Cc: Adams, Kenneth (Ann Arbor); Darnell, Gerald K.; Levenson, Mary;
Lysell, Kathleen M.; Metzger, Fredric (STL); Pernicano, Kevin; Siegel,
Wayne; Sison, Gustave F.; Stacey, Debra; Vasterling, Jennifer;
Wilkenfeld, Loren
Subject: [AVAPL Members] (no subject)

Hi folks,

As I've mentioned in the past, sometimes the guidance the National
Psychology Professional Standards Board receives on issues involving
Hybrid Title 38 changes. Such is the case that has led us to revise the
guidance we have provided on recommending Special Advancements for
Achievement (SAA).

We were originally told that SAAs could be recommended only for those
accomplishments that occurred outside the psychologist's job duties and
outside VA. A recent discussion among some National Psychology PSB
members led me to ask for clarification from our new HR Technical
Advisor. Her response is as follows:

There is a difference between SAP [Special Advancements for Performance]
and SAA.  SAPs are based on Performance where SAAs are based on an
achievement that furthers the profession of the employee.  The 8
criteria [that] are listed in VA Handbook 5017, Part V, subparagraph
4(e) are examples of achievements for Hybrids that are outside the
employee's normal duties.  The idea of an SAA is that they are outside
the employee's normal duties and responsibilities and something that
they do on their own that enhances their profession.

Thus, the stipulation that the accomplishments had to be outside VA does
not apply. We have revised our guidance (see attached) and are
distributing it to keep you apprised of the latest information we have
for a process is that oftentimes unnecessarily complex. We will likely
have further updates of this guidance following some discussions among
the members of the National Psychology PSB in the coming months.

Thanks!

Jeff

___________________
Jeffrey P. Burk, Ph.D.
National Mental Health Director for
Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Services
VA Central Office, Office of Mental Health Services
c/o North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System
1601 SW Archer Road (116B-1)
Gainesville, FL 32608-1197
Phone: 352/376-1611 ext. 4642
Fax: 352/379-4026
E-mail: jeff.burk@xxxxxx <mailto:jeff.burk@xxxxxx>

Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise;
risking more than others think is safe; dreaming more than others think
is practical; and expecting more than others think is possible.

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

  - Anais Nin