[AVAPL Members] Travel pay and encounters

  • From: "Graves, Peter K" <Peter.Graves@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Graves, Peter K" <Peter.Graves@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:59:28 -0700

Hi all,

                I'd appreciate a back-channel email or call from any who
are having any success dealing with the issue of travel pay.

Here in Los Angeles, the costs have been astronomical, and so our
administrative leadership is requiring that all visits (not just related
to travel pay) be entered as scheduled appointments more than 24 hours
in advance by a clerk.  Until now, our very large, group-oriented
programs have relied primarily on clinicians entering group notes and
encounter information, with no problems.  This new procedure has led to

(1)    Our inability to use "Group Notes" to close encounters in our
very large, group-oriented programs such as substance abuse, with
significant resulting reduction in clinician time available for veteran
care

(2)    A very large number of "no shows" due to the nature of these
large programs' historically inconsistent attendance (not otherwise a
threat to effective clinical care); each "no show" requires a separate
note and follow-up, draining otherwise overtaxed clinical resources

(3)    A significant increase (from near 0) in encounter errors when
things don't match up well, resulting in lost workload, and draining
clinician time even further

(4)    Long lines checking in for groups, which delays patient
participation in care

(5)    A really big drop in morale among clinicians

So, I'm hoping some of you have found better solutions than this, and
can let me know back-channel.  I'll be happy to summarize what I learn
and share with those interested.  Thanks!

   Peter Graves, Ph.D., J.D.

Associate Chair of Psychology

     for WLA Outpatient Programs,

U.S. Dept. of Veterans Affairs