[AVAPL Members] Mpls VA Postdoc Positions

  • From: "Siegel, Wayne" <Wayne.Siegel@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Siegel, Wayne" <Wayne.Siegel@xxxxxx>, <members1@xxxxxxxxx>, "APPIC Members Network digest" <members-network@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "VHA Psychology Internship Directors" <VHAPID@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "VHA Psychology Postdoctoral Training Directors" <VHAPPTD@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <postdoc-network@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 06:25:43 -0500

Postdoctoral Fellowship Positions

Minneapolis VA Medical Center

Positions:

*** One two-year full-time position in Clinical Neuropsychology
providing advanced training in the practice of clinical neuropsychology
with an emphasis on the evaluation and treatment of neurocognitive
problems related to a wide range of etiologies. (Please note, the first
year of the residency is a one-year APA-accredited training experience
that offers a broad range of clinical opportunities in clinical
neuropsychology and assessment. Both years of training meet the Houston
Conference and APA Division 40 Guidelines for training in
Neuropsychology. We have recently been accepted as an APPCN member and
we plan to apply for APA specialty accreditation in clinical
neuropsychology in December of 2010.

*** Three one-year full-time positions in Clinical Psychology in the
emphasis areas of Rehabilitation Psychology, Primary Care/Health
Psychology, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Severe Mental Disorders.

Training Setting: A large, modern, teaching facility - a Flagship
Veterans Affairs Medical Center with multiple specialized programs (e.g.
Research Centers, Lead Polytrauma Center; Women's Clinic, GRECC Clinic,
TBI Program, etc.) with strong affiliation with the University of
Minnesota and 50 other institutions.

Training Model and Philosophy: The philosophy of our program is
scientist-practitioner. Our program endorses the view that good clinical
practice is based on the science of psychology. In turn, the science of
psychology is influenced by the experience of working with real
patients. As a consequence, our approach to training encourages clinical
practice that is evidence-based and consistent with the current state of
scientific knowledge. At the same time, we hope to acknowledge the
complexities of real patients and the limitations of our empirical base.
We aim to produce psychologists who are capable of contributing to the
profession by investigating clinically relevant questions through their
own clinical research. While individual postdoctoral residents may
ultimately develop careers that emphasize one aspect of the
scientist-practitioner model more than the other, our expectation is
that clinicians will practice from a scientific basis and that
scientists will practice with a clinical sensibility.

Patient Population: Diverse, includes patients with a full range of
medical and mental disorders.  Includes adults and geriatric patients
only.

Training staff: 54 doctoral staff psychologists representing diverse
theoretical orientations, clinical specialties, and interests, typically
having academic appointments at the University of Minnesota. The staff
is highly committed to science and values training and trainees.

Start Date: August, 2011

Stipend: $44,755.

Benefits: Health Insurance, 13 days paid vacation and up to 13 days of
sick leave

The Community: This VA Medical Center is set in the beautiful twin
cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, a recreational paradise, with
magnificent lakes and parks, hiking, biking and cross country skiing
trails, the Mall of America, the world-renowned Guthrie Theater, the St.
Paul Chamber Orchestra, a strong contemporary music scene, and ready
access to camping, fishing, hunting, and the great outdoors.

Application Procedure: To apply, submit the following materials by
January 1st, 2011.

Detailed vita or resume.

Cover letter describing your career goals and how the postdoctoral
residency at the Minneapolis VAMC will help you achieve those goals.
Make sure to include information pertaining to your experience with
interventions, particularly empirical based or supported interventions,
psychological assessment, and your research/scholarly experience. We
acknowledge that neuropsychology applicants may have less intervention
experience.

Completion of Postdoc Resident Application (link is on our website)

Three letters of recommendation. At least one of these must be from an
internship supervisor.

Official transcripts of your graduate work sent directly by your
university.

Work Sample (deidentified according to HIPPA standards). Please send a
psychological testing report and an example of research or other
scholarly work. Neuropsych applicants must submit a neuropsychological
assessment.

Letter from dissertation chair regarding dissertation status and
anticipated completion date, if doctoral degree has not been completed
at the time of this application.

*** Neuropsychology applicants should submit their rank-ordered list to
the APPCN match system. The Rank Order List Deadline is February 26,
2011. The APPCN Match Day is March 8, 2011. Please refer to
www.appcn.org <http://www.appcn.org>  for further information regarding
the APPCN matching process.

 Please see our website for a more detailed description of training
opportunities and instruction to apply
(http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/education/psychology/post_setting.asp).
Feel free to contact the Training Director, Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP
at wayne.siegel@xxxxxx or 612.467.4024 with any questions.

Wayne

Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP

Licensed Psychologist

Director of Training/ Psychology Supervisor

Minneapolis VA Medical Center

612.467.4024

wayne.siegel@xxxxxx

http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/education/psychology/psyc_home.asp