[AVAPL Members] Re: MHA3 Glitch?

  • From: "Lysell, Kathleen M." <Kathleen.Lysell@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Roper, Brad L." <Brad.Roper@xxxxxx>, <members1@xxxxxxxxx>, "VHA National Psychology Chiefs" <VHANationalPsychologyChiefs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 18:18:16 -0800

Thank you Brad for your kind words.

Any time you have serious concerns about the functioning of any VA
software, please log a Remedy ticket.  This is the structure that OI&T
uses for tracking issues.  They do have a support team that responds,
and the individuals assigned to the MH package are very responsive.  If
it is an issue that is already known, they can track the previous
tickets and provide information on the resolution.  If it is a defect,
it is marked as such and included in patches that are intended to fix
the problems.  You probably don't have access to log the tickets
directly, but your local IRM staff should.

The issues that you list below Brad are ones that have been identified
with reports from sites.  As you note, there is an upcoming
patch-YS*5.01*96, that is a defect patch for MHA3-that is currently at
test sites and will be released to the field upon completion of the
testing and release processes.

The technical staff would be able to provide troubleshooting and
guidance on the issue that Wayne identifies, but the scenario had
previously been identified that if CPRS timed out and a new session was
later opened, but the original session of MHA remained open, it would
remain linked to the original patient chart.  This has been addressed in
patch YS*5.01*98, but it is possible that a system is not fully patched
resulting in problems, or another similar scenario occurred.

I know that many sites have struggled with issues since MHA3 was
released.  The enhancement patch did have some defects, and
unfortunately went out to the field just as OI&T realignment and
stricter budgetary requirements were implemented.  It has taken quite
some time to get the defect patches funded and completed.

Fortunately, with the current alignment of OI&T priorities with the
overall VA transformational initiatives, Mental Health does also have
funding for enhancements to MHA, and a great IT team that we are working
with.  So, I am very hopeful that issues will be resolved, and
enhancements to the package forthcoming during this next year.

Kathleen Lysell, Psy.D.

National Mental Health Director for Informatics

Office of Mental Health Services, VACO

808-433-0045

kathleen.lysell@xxxxxx

#2 with the correct name and SSN.

This makes no sense because I am sure the system uses SSN as the unique
identifier. The only other unusual factor was that Patient #1 taking
over 4 hours to complete the MMPI-2.

We are wondering if others have had similar issues. Luckily, the two
patients' results were not that dissimilar but if this were not the
case, it could have resulted in wrong clinical and C&P decisions.

Wayne

Wayne G. Siegel, Ph.D., ABPP
Licensed Psychologist
Director of Training/ Psychology Supervisor
Minneapolis VA Medical Center
612.467.4024
wayne.siegel@xxxxxx <mailto:wayne.siegel@xxxxxx>
http://www.minneapolis.va.gov/education/psychology/psyc_home.asp