[AVAPL Members] Happy New Year

  • From: "Shorter, George Wiley" <George.Shorter@xxxxxx>
  • To: <members1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 08:22:05 -0500

Dear AVAPL Members,

Allow me to be one of the first to wish each of you a Happy New Year! I
hope that each of you had an enjoyable holiday and I hope to see many of
you in 2011 in San Antonio at the VA Psychology Leadership Conference
(www.conference.avapl.org <http://www.conference.avapl.org> ).
Registration is already open!

Recently some of you have been concerned that messages sent via the
AVAPL listserv are able to be accessed through Internet search engines
and have suggested the Executive Committee consider options to make the
emails we share more private.  Thank you for raising this issue for
discussion. The Executive Committee met with our Advisory Committee to
discuss the problem and options to resolve it.  I am pleased to announce
the implementation of a change that we believe will resolve the concern.
We have decided to move our listserv to Google Groups. Google Groups is
a free service that includes an option to allow archiving that keeps the
messages private and undiscoverable by search engines, including Google
itself.

We place a high value on our email list as a tool of communication among
our members, and we want to continue to provide a space where we can
have important open, public discussions.  Moving to Google Groups allows
us to continue our discussions outside the reach of Internet search
engines.  That being said, I feel it is very important that we not
convey a false sense of privacy with this change.  Please remember that
Emails, by their very nature, are not confidential.

As part of our transition to Google Groups, you will soon receive an
Email from "noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"   This Email will announce the
addition of your Email address to Google Groups.  There is nothing that
you need to do. You will continue to address your messages to the AVAPL
listserv by using the "members1@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:members1@xxxxxxxxx> "
e-mail address.  Although we don't anticipate any problems with this new
listserv, I do hope you'll let us know of any you discover.

Sincerely,

George Shorter, Ph.D.

AVAPL, President

North Florida/South Georgia Veterans Health System

1601 SW Archer Rd.

Gainesville, FL  32608-1197

(352) 376-1611 ext. 6020

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any
war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how
they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated
by their country."   -George Washington