[AVAPL Members] EBP Discussion

  • From: "Shorter, George Wiley" <George.Shorter@xxxxxx>
  • To: <members1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 16:31:32 -0400

Colleagues,

On Behalf of the AVAPL Executive Committee, allow me to take a moment to
express our appreciation to all of our membership for the attention you
have given and the effort and passion you have put into the discussion
of evidence based psychotherapy in the VA.  In particular, I wish to say
thank you to Dr. Toni Zeiss for providing venues for this discussion by
allowing time to be taken from her own presentation at the VA APA day,
and for doing so again on the National Psychology Call in September.  We
are greatly supportive of an open dialogue on concerns, ideas, and
thoughts for the future of EBP in VA and psychology's role in this
transformation, and we look forward to continuing our support as the
discussion continues.

We support continued efforts to find ways to help each of you in the
field address challenges that you may face when implementing evidence
based psychotherapy.  For example, some of you are facing the notion
that only the specific "rollout" psychotherapies should be utilized, an
idea not supported by OMHS, the Uniform Mental Health Services Handbook,
or the VA-DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines.  Others are having
difficulty accessing psychotherapy training as quickly as you desire and
may have limited availability of some forms of psychotherapy in various
locations (e.g., rural sites).

We also would like to encourage the discussion to expand; in particular,
we are interested in expanding the use of outcomes measurement based
care.  We are looking for ways to support the implementation of VA-DoD
Clinical Practice Guidelines
<http://vaww.mentalhealth.va.gov/rc-vadod.asp> , and we are keen to hear
your preferences as to how to best engage in meaningful use of time at
the Leadership Conference in San Antonio to discuss such ideas.  Please
don't hesitate to contact me or the Executive Committee with your ideas.
Our contact information can be found at
http://www.avapl.org/contact_us.html or feel free to email me directly.

Sincerely,

George Shorter, Ph.D.

President, AVAPL

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any
war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how
they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated
by their country."   -George Washington