[AVAPL Members] Re: Clinical Teams--how are you set up?

  • From: "Long, Stephen [Northport]" <Stephen.Long@xxxxxx>
  • To: "'members1@xxxxxxxxx'" <members1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 16:37:27 -0500

And a nice shiny 2 cents it is.

From: avaplmembers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:avaplmembers-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sandeen, Evelyn
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 4:25 PM
To: members1@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [AVAPL Members] Re: Clinical Teams--how are you set up?

In Albuquerque, I think that a major problem was initiated several years ago
when the clinics became diagnosis-based.  As Stephen says, most of our
clientele have multiple issues and do not cleanly fit into one or another
diagnostic category.  Having patients divided by diagnosis has caused many
problems regarding "turf wars" and, in my opinion, retards creative thinking to
some degree.  I think a team-based model for the majority of mental health
care, with episode-of-care specialty experiences which can be referred to,
would be the ideal.  Just my 2 cents.

Evelyn Sandeen, Ph.D., ABPP

Director of Psychology Practicum, Internship and Post-Doctoral Training
Southwest Consortium Predoctoral Psychology Internship
www.psychologytraining.va.gov/albuquerque/
Psychologist
STARR (Substance abuse, Trauma, and Rehabilitation Residence)
Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center
BHCL (116)
1501 San Pedro Dr., S.E.
Albuquerque, NM 87108