[AVAPL Members] AVAPL officer positions and award nominations

  • From: "Hinterthuer, Mark" <MARK.HINTERTHUER@xxxxxx>
  • To: <members1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 12:36:17 -0500

TO: AVAPL Members

FROM: Mark Hinterthuer, Ph.D.,  Past-President

 It was good to see many of you at the recent VA leadership conference
in San Antonio. It was a great opportunity to network with other
psychologists and to discuss psychology/leadership issues that impact on
the care provided to Veterans. I know that many AVAPL members were not
able to be at the conference and I wanted to make sure that everyone was
aware of the two important positions that will be open on the AVAPL
Executive Committee. In addition to the President-Elect position that is
open every year, we are also seeking candidates for the position of
AVAPL Secretary. Both positions are for a 3 year commitment. The person
elected as President-Elect will serve for the first year in that
position, as President the second year, and Past-President during the
third year.  It is an exciting and worthwhile experience that provides
unique opportunities to influence the direction of Psychology within the
VA and how VA psychology is perceived at APA and on Capitol Hill.
Candidates do not need to have extensive prior experience in AVAPL
leadership. The year of President-Elect is designed to provide that
background.  A brief description of the major duties and time
commitments for each of the presidential roles is attached.

Secretarial duties include maintaining the minutes, records,
correspondence and archives of AVAPL. In addition, the Secretary is an
important member of the Executive Committee and has direct input into
all issues involving AVAPL business. We don't have a more detailed
description of this position, but Dr. Jim Besyner is vacating this
position and anyone interested could contact Jim if they have any
questions about duties and time commitment.

 We would very much like to hear from anyone who has an interest in
either position. Please encourage other future leaders to consider these
positions. Feel free to contact any of us informally for more
information.  If you are interested in applying for one of these
positions, please send to me (mark.hinterthuer@xxxxxx)  a brief
biosketch and your statement of interest/vision for AVAPL as a potential
candidate, and a picture (preferably a "head and shoulders" shot) to use
in the ballot.

We hope to have the list of candidates together by the end of May and
the ballot to the membership in early June. The newly elected members
will assume their duties the day following the business meeting at APA
in August.

In addition to AVAPL officer positions, we are also looking for
nominations for important AVAPL awards. Our awards categories include:
Professional Achievement/Distinguished Career Award, Leadership Award,
Professional Service Award and Special Contribution Award. Please visit
the AVAPL website for a list of past recipients and then contact us with
your nominees for these awards.

            Thanks - we look forward to your nominations for officer
positions and the awards.

Mark Hinterthuer, Ph.D.
Past-President, AVAPL

June Malone, Ph.D.