<USS Avalon> "Waiting and Contemplating"

  • From: CmdrSkyler@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:19:17 EST

"Waiting and Contemplating"
Cmdr Skyler, Georgia Lewis, James Henderson

Sitting in her seat in the Arthur Georgia could see the tension in Skyler's
back. She knew that Skyler was feeling upset about having to abandon the
Avalon  for the second time. Even though they would be getting a new ship it
wouldn't be  the same. It never was.

Skyler looked out the main viewer and could see the Aeroshuttle in front of
them. She knew the Captain was aboard and she suspected that he was feeling
some  of the same feelings she was. It was never easy to abandon a ship that
you
had  grown to love and that had been your home for some time. It had to be a
little  harder on him as his daughter and son were both serving on the Avalon.

Getting out of her seat, Georgia walked up to Skyler and touched her gently
on the shoulder. "Miss Skyler, everthin gonna be jest fine. You knows that. We
 been dis way 'afore and wes made it jest fine."

Reaching behind her Skyler placed her hand over the older woman's gnarled
hand. "I know Georgia, I know. It's just getting harder and harder each time it

happens. How many times are we going to have to abandon the Avalon? I'm not
sure  how many more times I can do it?"

"Miss. Skyler, yous can't gos on thinkin likes that. Things happen. Wes
dun't knows why, they jest does. You will settle back into the new ship, jest
like you settled in this here one. We will git back to Earth and goes to Miss.
Melanies babies christening. Everythin will be fine."

Georgia sighed. She had always been able to convince Skyler in the past but
this time it was different. For some reason she was more upset than  normal.

--------------------------------------

Having heard the announcement to abandon ship, James attempted to get to  his
quarter's. He didn't have a lot in the way of possession's but what he did
have he didn't want to lose. After climbing up one ladder and down another,
climbing into stuck lifts and then climbing out of them, he finally made it to
his cabin.

His roommate had already cleared out from the looks of things. The cabin  was
a mess. James was methodical or as some had called him a neat freak.
Entering his bedroom he grabbed his duffel and started to fill it with his
clothing
and other personal affects. He had some pictures that he wanted to make  sure
he took with him, some items he had picked up from various stops the Avalon
had made during his tour of duty. They weren't much but they were important to
him.

Once he had everything loaded up he searched for the one item that he had
been keeping under lock and key. It was his grandmother's wedding band. He
planned on giving it to a certain helm officer but he had yet to build up the
courage to ask her out. They had talked while they were on duty but that was
about the extent of it. He had had a crush on Lyta for as long as he had known
her.

Everytime he looked at her his palms would get all sweaty and his heart
would start to beat a mile a minute. He hoped while they were on Izar or even
when they were back on earth that he would get the chance to talk to her. Maybe

take her to dinner. Who was he kidding? She out ranked him and like most women
 wouldn't give him the time of day. Still he kept hoping that someday,
preferably  soon, he would get the courage to ask her out to dinner. For now he
pocketed the  ring, grabbed is bag and made his way through the ladders to the
shuttle  bay.

Reaching the shuttlebay he looked around until he found the one he had been
assigned to. It was the Merlin. He walked across the bay and found the Merlin
with its hatch open. He entered expecting to be the last one there. In fact
it  appeared he was the only one there. He stowed his bag and sat down at the
front  console. While he was waiting he figured he might as well run a
diagnostic and  get the shuttle ready for departure. He wasn't sure who else
was
supposed to be  on the Merlin but he wished they would hurry up and get there.
All
he could do  now was wait until others showed up. Wait and contemplate. What a
 combination.