<USS Avalon> It's Going to be a Long Trip

  • From: Ian <hewman100@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 12:55:43 +0000 (GMT)

  It's Going to be a Long Trip
  by Cadet John Forester, WO Emeril Fointaine, Lt. Camdell Loyen, and Ensign
Mary O'Donnell

  Standing in the shuttlebay Mary watched with relief as the spider left the
ship. Hopefully some other ship will have to do the follow up.

  Calmly she walked over to the Mordred and entered. The name sent a slight
shiver down her spine, just her luck to be assigned to the bad guy. Brushing a
hand through her short copper locks she called up the list of who else would be
joining her. The only name she recognised immediately was John which caused her
to smile. He's really goin' t' love being stuck in here with me.

  She wondered where Steven was and how he was leaving. Her brow creased with
concern for him as she continued looking at the list. The Captain's cook and a
Physiotherapist? Does this mean I'm the only one with a shuttlecraft rating?

  John skidded into the hanger bay, a small bag under his arm with the work
PADD he'd been using and the change of clothes he kept in his lab locker. "Oh
God, you're just checking this to make sure it works, right?" he asked the
moment he saw Mary.

  Turning, she gave him the full O'Donnell smile. "Nope Johnny boy. I'm your
designated driver for this trip unless someone else on this list can fly this
thing. Have you seen Steven?"

  "Nope," John said with a frown. "I came straight from Science, didn't even
have time to pick up my books or anything. Just hope this lump of a ship
doesn't blow up in the meantime."

  Thrusting the PADD at him Mary began the pre-flight, "You know much about
whats going on?"

  "Only that the ship's broken. Greg was swearing merry hell about it," John
shrugged. "Said the biogel packs were infected."

  "The ship's caught a cold?" Mary eyed him warily.

  John shrugged. "S'what Greg said."

  "Bloody typical, you seen who else is in here with us? I get the feeling your
father is still punishing me."

  "Then what's he punishing me for?" John huffed. "At least Stevie's not
assigned here. That would be sooo much worse."

  "Charming. I love you too Cadet Forrester." She winked, "Even if he was here
he'd have to behave at least until we are out of this mess."
  "I know, but the doe eyes the pair of you'd make would be sickening," John
sighed. "It's too much for a poor Science geek to take."

  "Science geek? You're too harsh on yourself. Someone will find that rather
cute I'd've thought."

  John blushed but decided to keep his mouth shut on that score. "Who're we
waiting on?"

  "Your Dad's cook, Lieutenant Loyen and anyone else who cares to show up."

  Cam came in at that point carrying a duffle full of personal effects. He
could sense some stress from Kaera, but he attributed it to the situation. That
being having to evacuate the ship and being seperated. He could feel the
tension of the room as well as the rest of the crew getting to their craft. He
went up to the one that looked in charge. "Lieutenant Loyen, reporting," he
said with that easy smile he nearly always wore.

  "Don't stand on ceremony sir, get yourself stowed. Where's that bloody stove
jockey?" She grumbled.

  Cam nodded. "Aye," he said. He hadn't seen any one else that had been
assigned to this shuttle. There were others coming in to the bay but each of
them were going to different shuttles and as those shuttles were filling up
they were being launched. Cam went into the shuttle and stowed his gear. "Any
sign of the others yet?" he asked when he came back out.

  "Nope sir. Waiting on the Captain's cook and any stragglers." Mary smiled
grimly. Still nothing from Steven. Should I try to comm him?

  Pulling the large duffle along the corridor, the clanging of the contents
eluded to what was inside. Another duffle over his shoulder, that smelled of
spices. Finally, he entered the shuttlebay, "I'm here, can someone help me get
these pots and pans aboard", Emeril yelled to anyone that was in listening
distance.

  "What is this? I know you chefs get possessive about your equipment but if
this room is needed for bodies your tinware remains here." Mary glared at him,
daring him to try something.

  Muttering to himself, Emeril loads the duffle of pans and the bag of spices
onto the shuttle, "I wouldn't have this problem if I were assigned to the
aero...". Finally, taking his seat, he waited for them to leave.

  The Captains message came through loud and clear. Mary surveyed her mottley
crew. "Guess that's our cue to leave."

"If there's nothing wrong with me... maybe there's something wrong with the
universe!"
~ Dr Beverly Crusher (ST:TNG, Remember Me)