<USS Avalon> "Dinner Among Friends"

  • From: X X <vulcan3324@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:29:25 -0800 (PST)

  Dinner Among Friends
  Michael Magee as played by Cmdr.Skyler and Ensign V'Tresh

  V'Tresh sat in the back corner of the Chinese restaurant, looking over the
exotic foods choices presented in the menu in an eager attempt to find a
vegetarian dish. She was waiting on an old classmate and buddy of hers to show
up, and, never being one with an excess of patience, she had decided to go
ahead and look over the options for the evening.

  Not one who was particularly fond of Chinese, Magee had agreed to meet
V'Tresh anyway. He didn't know when he would see his friend again. Walking in
he looked all around until he spotted her sitting in a dark corner. Walking up
he looked at her and asked, "Uh, excuse me, but is this seat taken?"

  She smiled and shook her head. "It's about time that you got in here. Have a
seat!" She slid one of the menus over towards his place at the table. "How are
you, Michael?"

  Taking his seat Magee sat down. "I'm doing okay and I am not that late. You
just tend to be early." Taking the menu he perused it hoping to find something
American to eat. He really didn't think he could subside on fortune cookies.
"So my friend, what have you been up to since graduation?"

  She steepled her fingers. "I've been formally assigned to a ship. The USS
Avalon-C." She laughed. "You're looking at her newest science officer." She sat
back and waited for his reply.

  Magee placed his order of steak and potatoes with an order of salad on the
side. "The Avalon huh? I hear that's a good ship. I wasn't aware they needed
new crew. Congratulations."

  Nodding, she kept the smile on her face. "I'm looking forward to being aboard
her." She turned and looked at his foot. "Steak and potatoes. That's certainly
traditional Chinese cooking."

  "You don't like my Chinese food then don't look at it. Something about egg
drop soup doesn't appeal to me. When are you supposed to report to the Avalon?
As for me I haven't gotten my assignment yet?" He started to frown at the
thought of not being assigned to a ship yet. His grades hadn't been that bad.

  "Within a few weeks. I haven't been informed of the specifics yet." She
shrugged. "I'll know soon enough." Taking a sip from the handleless teacup, she
arched an eyebrow at her companion. "Hear anything about a posting for you,
yet?"

  "No not yet. I am beginning to think that they lost my name in the pile of
assignments. Either that or they don't think I am worthy enough to serve on a
ship. I know I wasn't the smartest like some people I know." He looked at
V'Tresh and smirked.

  "You a philosopher?! That's really funny V'Tresh. You're no more a
philosopher than I am a Doctor."Magee took a sip of his drink and looked at his
friend. "I'm sure she will understand. She only wants what is best for you.
That's what parent's do, whether we like it or not."

  She laughed. "I guess some things are universal constants." Taking a spoonful
of the egg-drop soup, she smiled. "It's easier when you aren't fighting six
generations of family tradition, I suppose."

  Cutting into his juicy steak Magee listened to V'Tresh. He didn't have any
family traditions to fight. He didn't even have a family. "Look at it like
this. At least you know she cares about you and only wants you to be happy.
Give her time, I am sure she will come around."

  V'Tresh nodded. "Hopefully, she will." She looked back at the menu. "Up for
dessert? I'm sure they have some 'normal' food that would fit your palate."

  Looking up from his steak, Magee stuck his tongue out at her. "Are you making
fun of my tastes in food? I will have you know that there is nothing better
than a good juicy steak to quench a hunger. However if you happen to have
chocolate cake I'll be happy to help you eat it."

  V'Tresh gave him a lop-sided grin. "Make fun of you? I wouldn't think of it."
She looked at the last page of the menu. "You're in luck. They do indeed have
chocolate cake."

  She turned to the waiter. "One slice of chocolate cake and one baked Alaska."
The waiter nodded, taking down the order before returning to the kitchen.

  Taking a long pull on his beer Magee looked at V'Tresh, "At least you have a
posting, my luck they will make me assistant to the gardener."

  She shook her head. "I doubt that they'd waste their resources on a posting
such as that. Give it time, Magee."

  "Hey, you never know I may have just the green thumb ole' Boothby needs. He
is getting up in years ya know." Magee chuckled as he licked the chocolate from
his lips.

  "Boothby... what a character. I don't think there's any cadet that's been
through there in the last thirty years whom he doesn't know or know of,"
V'Tresh remarked as she took the last bite of the baked Alaska. An unbelievable
flavor; the chef had outdone himself.

  "I think he came with Starfleet when it was first originated all those years
ago. He has the wrinkles to go with it." Magee laughed harder than he had in a
long time. "Thanks for inviting me for dinner V'Tresh. I needed it. I'm sure
you have things to do before you take off into the galaxy. I envy you."

  She sighed. "Don't worry about it, Magee. You'll get a posting, I'm certain."
She reached out to shake his hand. "Stay in touch, eh?"

  Taking her hand in his, Magee leaned down and kissed it gently. "Take care my
dear lady and don't let the big bad aliens get you."

  She smiled again at his mock chivalry. "See you around the galaxy, Magee."

Yahoo! Photos