[av-a11y] antivirus & Microsoft alternative

  • From: Blaine Clark <blaineclrk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: av-a11y@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 10:34:00 -0400

Hey all;

I'm not blind, but I have over-the-hill vision and visual setting tweaks help a lot. I quit using Microsoft in '07 and switched to Linux, starting with Ubuntu, then in '12 my wife and I switched to Mint. My wife is blind in one eye and has distorted vision in the other, so settings tweaks are a necessity for her too. My wife switched to Ubuntu in January '08 after seeing how well it worked for me. Other than activating the firewall after installation my wife hasn't installed an antivirus program in 9 years for augmented security. I installed Clam-AV but I only use it 2 or 3 times a year for a system check just out of curiosity. The scans have shown a few Microsoft viruses, but nothing that affects Linux.

In 9 years for my wife and nearly 10 years for myself we've never had a system crash or freeze. Linux is super stable as well as out-of-the-box super secure. We'll never consider Microsoft again.

As for accessibility, Mint is lacking in that regard, it takes a lot of tweaking to get Mint and all programs on board. Ubuntu is much better, but it too needs some work to get it just right. There is a project that has taken Ubuntu and done 95% of the tweaking for you. It's called Vinux, Linux for the visually impaired. http://vinuxproject.org/.

With some BIOS or UEFI tweaking, which requires visual assistance to set up and an experienced hand, you can run Vinux from either a DVD or a USB thumb drive from boot to try it out. You can also install Vinux in a virtual machine inside of Microsoft for a good trial run or if you're adventurous, you can install Vinux alongside Microsoft in what's called a dual-boot.

It's worth considering in my opinion. Talk to the people at Vinux and see what they say.

This email and any attachments have been sent by a happy and satisfied Linux-Mint user and have not been checked for viruses. That's for poor Microsoft users to worry about. If you get interested in using Linux-Mint [http://www.linuxmint.com/about.php] and getting rid of Microsoft troubles, it's free!

Discernment is not knowing the difference between right and wrong. It is knowing the difference between right ... and almost right.
  Charles Spurgeon

  Every time History repeats itself, the price goes up.