[av-a11y] Re: PC Magazine's Top Antivirus Programs for 2017

  • From: enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: av-a11y@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2017 07:20:28 +0300

hi,

Though many websites and test labs acknowledge defender's improvement, they generally state that it has gone from being dead last to mediocre.

here are some sites
https://www.maketecheasier.com/is-windows-defender-good-enough/
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/windows-defender,review-2209.html
On 4/3/2017 7:07 AM, Robin Frost wrote:

Hi,
I respectfully ask what the basis of this assertion is and how recent is the information on which it's based?
Again I'm not here to defend or bash any particular package or suite of software. I think people choose that which they choose for a plethora of reasons unique to their own situations. I know in eons gone by Microsoft's offerings were eschewed and brushed aside by many but I had read in mainstream media and technical publications covering various matters of technological significance that it had gotten much better. Speaking strictly for myself I will say that when I say something about a particular piece of technology or software I'm always careful to delineate between facts as cited from other publications or studies versus opinions of my own formed on the basis of my own experiences and anecdotal use. that way people can make it of it that which they will when engaging in critical thought for themselves. By way of analogy for instance though I've been quite vocal about my experiences in recent days with Kaspersky Internet Security, were someone to inquire about it a year 5 years or a decade from now I would feel it imprudent and in fact inappropriate for me to summarily discount it out of hand. Rather I might say when I last used it in 2017 this was the state of things perhaps give a demo version a whirl knowing that in the past it was in such a state.
That's quite different than were I to proclaim that Kaspersky is a pile of manure or is substandard without any more explanation.
Again that's just my view for whatever it might or might not be worth to anyone.
Robin

-----Original Message----- From: enes sarıbaş
Sent: Sunday, April 2, 2017 10:59 PM
To: av-a11y@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [av-a11y] Re: PC Magazine's Top Antivirus Programs for 2017

probably not even in the list. Defender is a mediocre antivirus at best.

On 4/3/2017 12:47 AM, Brenda wrote:
I don't think any in the top 10 are accessible, and I have read on several lists Webroot has serious conflicts with screen readers.

Time doesn't permit me to read all 46 programs that pc magazine recommends, so not sure where Sophos Home and viper are on the list. I read a review last year where it was said that you could do better than sophos. But, if a program isn't accessible it is probably better to have a good program that is accessible rather than one in the top 10. Just curious where Defender falls.

brenda

On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, David Goldfield wrote:
PC Magazine's review of Kaspersky several years back was one of the factors which caused me to switch to that product. They have detailed reviews of the top antivirus programs for 2017, updated on March 3, so it's pretty recent. Kaspersky still gets high ratings, as did Bit Defender and Norton. Those are three out of five editor's choice awards, although they reviewed 46 different products. They will tell you everything you'd want to know regarding the various pros and cons of each package, although you won't get information as to how it works with NVDA, JAWS or your screen reader of choice.

I should point out that I've used corporate versions of Symantec's security software and I find them to be 100% accessible with screen readers. However, this is not the same as their Norton products for home users and so I have no idea as to the level of accessibility you would find in those products.

Here's the link with PCMag's reviews. It's a lot of information to wade through but may be worth it, at least for the top five editor choice products.