[av-a11y] Re: PC Magazine's Top Antivirus Programs for 2017

  • From: Brenda <bjnite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: av-a11y@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 17:47:45 -0400

I don't think any in the top 10 are accessible, and I have read on several lists Webroot has serious conflicts with screen readers.

Time doesn't permit me to read all 46 programs that pc magazine recommends, so not sure where Sophos Home and viper are on the list. I read a review last year where it was said that you could do better than sophos. But, if a program isn't accessible it is probably better to have a good program that is accessible rather than one in the top 10. Just curious where Defender falls.

brenda

On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, David Goldfield wrote:

PC Magazine's review of Kaspersky several years back was one of the factors which caused me to switch to that product. They have detailed reviews of the top antivirus programs for 2017, updated on March 3, so it's pretty recent. Kaspersky still gets high ratings, as did Bit Defender and Norton. Those are three out of five editor's choice awards, although they reviewed 46 different products. They will tell you everything you'd want to know regarding the various pros and cons of each package, although you won't get information as to how it works with NVDA, JAWS or your screen reader of choice.

I should point out that I've used corporate versions of Symantec's security software and I find them to be 100% accessible with screen readers. However, this is not the same as their Norton products for home users and so I have no idea as to the level of accessibility you would find in those products.

Here's the link with PCMag's reviews. It's a lot of information to wade through but may be worth it, at least for the top five editor choice products.