[av-a11y] Re: ESET

  • From: Brenda <bjnite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: av-a11y@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 19:42:58 -0400

Hi Merve and List

I have heard that Esset is not accessible with Window-Eyes any more and I imagine the situation is similar with Jaws.

Has anyone actually heard from Kaspersky directly that they will not be making their security suite accessible to screen readers? When you say "Several of us" who are you referring to? Is there another list where this is being discussed?

I'm having a hard time finding a good security suite to use and at the end of April my AVG will need to be updated, and the interface isn't accessible, and the program is no longer rated

I have heard that Sophos is accessible, but not as good/protective as Kaspersky.

Malware Bites isn't accessible with Window-Eyes, I can update and run it but can't select the threats to delete them. How does Malware bites work with jaws or nvda?

I use spybot, but get error messages on my win10 machine with Window-Eyes so my husband runs it for me. Still, an accessible security suite would probably be the best way to go.

There are a lot of blind screen reader users, but I find very little information on accessible screen readers that are in the top 10.

I would appreciate any input, other list suggestions, security program suggestions etc.

thanks,
brenda
win7 pc and win10 laptop
On 4/1/2017 7:28 PM, Merv Keck wrote:

Hi,

I am considering switching to a flavor of ESET now that Kaspersky has made it known that they will not be supporting Screen readers in the future. In the last two weeks their accessibility has diminished to the point that Kaspersky Internet Security is no longer useful in windows 10. Several of us are being forced to uninstall the 2017 Suite. Kaspersky has made it known that there are no plans for accessibility in 2018.

Therefore, I am now considering one of the suites that ESET produces. Has anyone used their latest suite. I prefer not to just use an antivirus program. I do not like to mess around with Malware bytes when a Security suite can do everything in house so to speak.

Thanks in advance,

Merv