[authorafrica] Re: Focus of Discussion

  • From: john oryem <oryemjohn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: authorafrica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 03:18:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Writers,
Back on board guys!!
Dr. Bruce asked us the African Writers. Can we answer him back with our very
own answers? We are about to hatch lasting solutions to our problems. Now I ask
you brothers and sisters; how many of you have good facilities, conducive
enough to help you develop your writings. Basics: Computer +
Printer-Electricity (National problem)
Publishing companies are not complete. The processes are hard to reach final
phase.
I believe as an African struggling to write, I think my fellow African writers
could help themselves first. It could happen this way; Nyankami takes one of my
manuscripts and reviews it, or he could take it to town for a proof Reading,
editing and sends it to Monica Arac de Nyiko in Uganda for cheap publishing. By
such concern among us, we could have one book published and could be
distributed in Uganda, Kenya and Sudan. The three countries are sharing borders
in East Africa. With our connections, we could first assist each other before
we emerge into the larger world.
We shall not enjoy financial rewards from our books in Africa. The happiness of
getting my books published is my personal happiness.  My ideas, thoughts, and
development of an African mind are simply in my books, for my people.
As for African writings, nothing would dilute it. It would always remain
African. It is enough for our brothers and sisters who have gone to the West to
develop their writings, only ending up being assimilated elsewhere. We have 4
or 5 Nobel laureates of literature. Wole Soyinka remained more African or
Yuruba in his books. Ngugi Wa Thiongo writes in Kikuyu. We have nothing to fear
in the world there.
John Oryem