[austechwriter] Re: [old-austechwriter] Terminology - screen or window

  • From: Melanie Kendell <Melanie.Kendell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:04:06 +1000

Michael West wrote:
> Okay, maybe not. Maybe you've got a messy,
> cluttered interface and you need to describe
> the nasty thing in some detail (though a picture
> would be better).

You've got it! And yes I do have *lots* of pictures.

> > But I would rather say "click on the OK button" ...
>
> Why? Because you think they might be confused
> about which thing labelled "OK" of several possibilities
> they're supposed to click?

OK was probably a bad example (I used it 'cos it would be most familiar),
there are plenty of places where there are many things with the same name,
eg a Schedule button, plus a Schedule menu, plus a Schedule tab, plus a
Schedule screen (there is a Schedule button and a Schedule tab *on* the
Schedule screen) - as I said I need to be explicit.

> Seriously, it sounds like you are wrestling with a
> funky interface.

Oh yes.

> The whole idea behind GUIs
> is to be intuitive and obvious. Sometimes we have
> to do the programmer's work for them, while they
> pull down the big bucks. Then you die.

Let's face it, ideally we would be closely involved in GUI design "if it's
difficult to document, it's more than likely difficult to use", but in this
case it is a bought package not a development project and it is a done deal,
so I have no chance to get changes made.

-Melanie