[austechwriter] Re: [old-austechwriter] Terminology - screen or window

  • From: "Michael West" <mbwest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:56:39 +1000

> I have a Reconcile Timecard screen where I can, strangely enough, reconcile
> Timecards which is an entirely manual process using the information from the
> screen. How do I talk about something on the screen without using a word to
> identify that I am talking about a graphical artefact and not the act of
> reconciling.

It still sounds like a window or dialog box to me.

Isn't there a heading that says "Customer Details"
above a list of customer details? And if so, can't
you just say, "In the list of customer details, find
the ABN number." Whether those details are
displayed in a window, a box, a tabbed page,
or a bunny suit doesn't really matter.

Okay, maybe not. Maybe you've got a messy,
cluttered interface and you need to describe
the nasty thing in some detail (though a picture
would be better).

> But I would rather say "click on the OK button" ...

Why? Because you think they might be confused
about which thing labelled "OK" of several possibilities
they're supposed to click?

Seriously, it sounds like you are wrestling with a
funky interface. The whole idea behind GUIs
is to be intuitive and obvious. Sometimes we have
to do the programmer's work for them, while they
pull down the big bucks. Then you die.

--
Mike